Thursday, October 04, 2007

A Trip to ReadingTerminal Market

Right after Mr. J and I moved to the Philly area, around 1991, we went to see the famed Reading Terminal Market. I remember it being a jumbled maze, difficult to navigate, but that could just be me. Also someone threw up on my jacket. While I was wearing it. What with one thing or another we haven't been back. Today, though, I had some free time downtown and thought it would be a good idea to give it another look.

Wow! It was great. Stalls laid out in a grid for easy browsing and for remembering where you saw what. I did some early Christmas shopping, bought some kettle corn and wasabi peas for Mr. J. The spice store had Stick Fingers Bakery scone mixes which I haven't seen anywhere else in the area. Tonight's dinner, crab cakes and broccoli salad, was from AJ Pickle & Salad Patch. Very tasty.

I may not become a regular but it will definitely be a place I visit every few months.

4 comments:

ACM said...

the "jumbled maze" effect may result from being there at a particularly busy time, like a Saturday afternoon. if you were there when thing are a bit more sane (and you're not fighting just to make headway), the merits of the place present themselves a bit more clearly.

ah, the Terminal -- the only good thing about my jury duty two years ago! :)

AboveAvgJane said...

That first time probably was a weekend since we were both there and not at work. Please note I did not buy (actually could not find) any onion crispies or carrot shavings in lemon jello.

Anonymous said...

Where did you find the kettle corn? We've been craving it lately...

AboveAvgJane said...

Bags of kettle corn can be found at the AJ Pickle and Salad Patch. It is near the back just to the left of center. Also check out the crab cakes and broccoli (sp?) salad.