Thursday, September 21, 2006

Watching Bob Casey

Recently I had the opportunity to watch Bob Casey work a crowd. I missed the speeches and so can only report on the "meet and greet" segment of the event. This was my first "in person" observation of our would-be senator. As has been widely reported, Casey has a low-key personality. Certainly he could be livelier but far be it from me to criticize someone for being, perhaps, a little dull and methodical (pot, meet kettle). In small groups or talking with one person at a time, these understated qualities might be an advantage for him. His quiet demeanor allows the other person the chance to shine, or at least not be overshadowed. Casey focuses on whoever he is talking to and lets them talk as long as they want; he leans in towards them, listens intently, and seems comfortable with both the suited and the K-Mart clothed. My impression is that his staff does not always share his patience, but he does not seem to be easily deterred. He is thorough, making sure that everyone who was lined up to talk with him had a chance to talk (excluding those who, like me, merely lurked). In fact I was struck most with what I interpreted as an underlying resolute determination. You may not see a fiery display but he is a man with a mission.

The other candidates and other luminaries in attendance should be noted.
Sandy Miller, Bucks County Commissioner
Patrick Murphy (candidate for the 8th congressional district), as always surrounded by a crowd. Given the number of people around Casey, Murphy's crowd was a little smaller, but he seemed to be as attentive and pleasant as always.
Chris Serpico (10th state senate) -- every time I see Serpico he is talking with people in what appears to be a friendly, congenial, adn purposeful manner.
Larry Glick (143rd state house) -- people I think well of have emailed me that this is a race and candidate to be watched. My apologies for not looking into it more closely.
Mike Diamond (31st state house) -- He is challenging Dave Steil.
Chris King (142nd state house) -- I hear that he is giving Matt Wright a serious challenge.

There were likely other candidates and officials there and my apologies for not recognizing them.

No comments: