Saturday, December 17, 2005

Nonpolitical Rant

This evening I got out my sewing machine and made an Eagles pillow for a friend of one of the little Jane's. While I was in sewing mode I got out some flannel bought to make little Jane jammies. Cut out the new pattern. Laid out the fabric. Didn't fit, about 3" short. Looked at the fabric requirements on the back of the pattern. Checked the length of the fabric. Everything okay. Still didn't fit. Did the nose measure on the width of the fabric. Double checked with a tape measure. 42"

Now, those of you familiar with fabric will know that sewing fabric comes in 36" and 45". It's one or the other. The width is listed on the end of the bolt but the experienced eye can tell with a look. Or there's the informal nose measure. (The distance from the tips of the fingers to the nose is approximately 36". My arms are short so I turn my head sideways and that makes almost exactly 36").

I could not have been more shocked if the Easter bunny came down the chimney on Christmas. For the sports-inclined, imagine if the hockey team wore tutus. It just isn't right.

You just can't trust anything these days.

No comments: