Monday, February 07, 2005

Thoughts on the Superbowl

I’ve never watched a football game all the way through, start to finish. I caught most of one of the playoff games. Sunday night I went to get groceries during the first quarter but watched the rest of the Superbowl. This was not so much out of interest, but to take notes. There is a small boy in my house and Mr. Jane and I do what we can to ensure he doesn’t get beat up in gym as much as we did. The family motto might as well be “Geeks R Us.” So I paid attention to the paper and coached my son on what the playoffs and Superbowl are so he could make intelligent conversation on the playground. I learned a few of the player’s names so he would be familiar with him. Mr. Jane tried to show him a few plays to introduce him to general strategies. Some of his questions we couldn’t answer. Mr. Jane has a better concept of what a “down” is than I do, but neither of us has a good grasp on the whole game structure.

A few years ago I was in San Francisco for a professional conference. It fell during the same week as the annual Gay Pride Parade so there were a lot of tourists in town. I found myself talking with a couple, two men, at a corner intersection while we waited for the light to change. It was right after Mike Tyson had bitten someone’s ear off. It was the first time in my life that I found myself the group expert on sports. Just goes to show, everything I relative.

In any event, I was sorry that the Eagles did not bring the state the Superbowl trophy and all the hoopla and swagger rights that go with it. It was nice to see so many people united in wishing for one thing in particular. That alone was worth the effort The team did a good job and we’ll just have to wait and watch again next year. Winning a championship is still pretty neat, and being second in the nation is nothing to sneeze at.

No comments: