Monday, February 07, 2005

Beano for Deano

It looks as though Howard Dean has sewn up chairmanship of the Democratic National Committee. This is not good news. He’s a gassy blast of unpleasantness, not unlike the impolite bursts blocked by the over the counter product called beano. I say this as a Democrat. Governor Dean, Dean for America, and Democracy for America sent me a number of unsolicited emails over the summer and fall. I recall very little of what was said other than that most asked for money. After reviewing the ones remaining in my inbox I can tell you my memory was correct. I saw him once on tv and thought he presented himself well. I had the opportunity to see him in person at a local campaign stop this fall and was not impressed at all. His primary message was “don’t vote for the other guys – they’re Republicans.” His face was primarily a saucy smirk mostly associated with small boys who have misbehaved and are daring you to catch them at it. His public remark that he “hates Republicans” is equally disturbing. I looked at the Democracy for America website and at his announcement that he was running for DNC chair. The gist is: “Republicans are bad. Grassroots are good.” What is missing here is a message. Something to fight for instead of against. He has a laundry list of what he wants to reform but no real programs. No ideas. He wants to empower people to take back America. To do what?

What impressed me most when I saw him on the talk show was his frank discussion of the campaign. He said all but one of his primary opponents had contributed to a fund to defeat him. He didn’t say who the one was but if it had been John Kerry I image he would have been more forthcoming. It was interesting to hear him talk about the campaign but, again, I don’t remember hearing any strategy or vision beyond the “Republicans are bad” message.

What I would rather have in a party spokesman is someone who talks about our positives, not just comparisons to the “bad guys.” I want someone who can build coalitions, support candidates, and work to put qualified people in the pipeline. His emails asking for donations for candidates were based solely on the candidate’s party affiliation, not their personal attributes. I want someone who will do away with backroom political deals and patronage, the kowtowing to big donors, the things that kill politics for many voters, and disenfranchise them. Most of all, I want someone who can articulate a future and a way to get there. Trashtalking the other guys doesn’t do much to achieve these goals. I was hoping for better in a national chair.

No comments: